Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Caveat Canem Part 2: Apparently They Can't Help Themselves

This Letter to the Editor Appeared in today's (4/13/2011) Idaho Statesman. She appears to be upset because the angry man had this weird interpretation of the Leash Law; he apparently felt it was meant to be adhered to. Too bad the policemen didn't offer her a citation.


Free speech? What a copout

This fall I was on the Garden City Greenbelt west of the library. As I leashed my dog after she played in the river, a man accosted me. He proceeded to provide me with his interpretation of the leash law and used foul language to describe my gender.

A few minutes later, I told two Garden City police officers what had happened and how upset I was. They informed me that the use of indecent and foul language towards women is the constitutional right of “free speech.” Neither officer offered assistance, empathy or consideration.

In a complaint letter to the Garden City Police Department I noted that the First Amendment grants U.S. citizens the right to free speech to “petition the government for redress of grievances,” not insult women. I also cited Title 52 of the Idaho Statutes indicating it is illegal to use language that is “indecent or offensive to the senses.”

The response I received said that the officers followed “appropriate policies and procedures.” So, just a word of caution, ladies, don’t expect protection, politeness or professionalism from Garden City police officers on the Greenbelt. And don’t expect to see me there again either.

JAIME MOSS, Boise



Read more: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/04/13/1603489/letters-to-the-editor.html#ixzz1JSw7ruy7

No comments:

Post a Comment